If you would like to list an event, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- This event has passed.
Information sessions for the fibre optic internet referendum
October 6 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
One event on October 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Hornby and Denman Island residents are invited to participate in two online open houses regarding this initiative.
Registration is required for these sessions.
- October 6 (12:00pm – 1pm): Zoom Registration Link or call 250-334-6073 to register
- October 7 (5:00pm – 6:00 pm): Zoom Registration Link or call 250-334-6073 to register
For more background:
On November 27, 2021 there will be an assent vote in respect of the Hornby and Denman Islands high-speed internet initiative. Qualified electors of the proposed service area will be voting on the following question:
- Are you in favour of the CVRD adopting Denman and Hornby Islands High-Speed Internet Contribution Service Establishment Bylaw No. 672, 2021, Denman and Hornby Islands High-Speed Internet Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 673, 2021, and Denman and Hornby Islands High-Speed Internet Capital Contribution Agreement Authorization Bylaw No. 678 to authorize the following:
- establish and operate a service for providing capital financing for high-speed internet infrastructure;
- borrow $767,677 to be repaid over a maximum 10 year period to finance the development of the high-speed internet infrastructure; and
- enter into a 20 year agreement with City West Cable and Telephone Corp. to provide up to $760,000 capital financing for the development of the high-speed internet service infrastructure?
- To assist with bringing high-speed internet access to Denman and Hornby Islands the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) is proposing to provide a financial contribution to build the “last mile” infrastructure necessary to connect homes and businesses within both communities. This proposal follows a number of important initiatives and grants, including:
- investigation and advocacy by the Denman/Hornby Internet Committee;
- the Connected Coast Project, a $45 million investment to install a subsea fibre-optic cable along coastal BC to connect to landing sites in rural and remote communities; and
- a provincial grant of up $5.6 million to City West, the telecommunications provider and subsidiary of the City of Prince Rupert that proposes to install and provide the high-speed internet service on Denman and Hornby Islands.