The house is literally a three minute walk to Whaling Station Bay Beach, a favorite of many visitors to Hornby. Middle Beach is another bay a few minutes’ walk away. It’s a 10 minute walk to the Helliwell Provincial Park parking lot. All these areas are connected by the same walkable beach for those with enough energy.
Big Tribune Bay Beach is big, sandy, and awesome. It’s about 10 minutes on a bike or you can drive in five.
When you get back, relax on the large, partially covered two level deck with lounge chairs, sofa, and arm chairs. A large umbrella will provide more shade if required.
Our property is four acres and your rented house area gives you about one acre of privacy. (The trailer is a three minute walk at the other end of the property.)
We have one basket tee and about five discs for Disc Golf. We have Bocci, horseshoes, badminton, and a few board games. (We have three holes for pitch and putt but please ask as maintenance is tricky so do don’t always allow for its use.)
We have a record player and records in the living room. Anybody like Abba or Fleetwood Mac? We’ll leave a good Bluetooth speaker (but don’t take it off the property).
We may older fixed up bikes if you don’t have one. Be gentle and don’t go too far with ours in case of breakdown.
The amphitheater has a bar and stereo (radio). Don’t get too excited, the bar does not come with a bartender. The amphitheater is not really functional yet but some day…
Note before you go further… Sorry, we do not allow pets on the property for a few reasons. We have a lot of deer we like to keep around. We do have our own cat who comes sometimes so that’s an allergy warning. She’s hairy but doesn’t shed much so just discuss with us if you are a borderline case. She doesn’t go downstairs much either.
Please no smoking in the house or near doors and windows. Be careful outside. (Find foil or something for an ashtray as I’m not sure we have one.)
There’s a wood fireplace but it’s off limits in the summer. The upper deck has an infrared heater if it gets cool at night.
Sorry, no campfires permitted. (There will probably be a fire ban anyhow.)
– It has basically everything we need. Let us know if you needed (or even just wanted) something that wasn’t there.
– Master Bedroom: Queen Size bed and ensuite with a shower. Full-size closet. The ensuite is sharable as it is off of a short hall with separate doors for the living room, bathroom, and bedroom. Just close the doors as desired to share or not.
– Living Room with two couches and an armchair.
– Dining Room with long table, long bench, and six chairs.
– “Lookout” with two arm chairs.
– Kitchen with quartz counters, dishwasher, propane stove, electric oven, and the all-important blender. We got lots of wine glasses. The drawers should have everything you normally need.
– The island has four tractor seat bar stools. (One might be stored downstairs.)
– Family Room furnished with a couch, and two leather recliner chairs.
– There is a big TV in the family room but it is not setup. You can bring your own Apple TV or gaming console.
– Second Bedroom: Queen size bed, full size closet, barn door
– Third Bedroom: Queen size bed, full size closet, barn door
– Fourth bedroom: Single bed, nothing fancy. The closet will likely be full of our stuff. Good for the last person or a child. This will be locked off if not part of your rent rate.
– Second bathroom with toilet, sink, and bathtub with shower
– Laundry is usually locked off but call us if urgent
We ask people to conserve water. Our well usually goes dry by the end of June. If we run low, we can buy more which gets delivered. But we are also trying to conserve for the whole island.
You are required to bring beach towels, bath towels, and sheets from home. That’s quite common on Hornby Island. We want to conserve water and reduce the cleaning time when you leave. Reducing laundry helps the septic capacity too. Discuss with us if this doesn’t work for you. We will supply kitchen towels.
No shoes permitted in the house. Bring slippers if you want and the basement floor can be cool all year.
Whaling Station Bay (3 minutes), Helliwell Park and Bluffs (10 minutes), Big Tribune Bay Beach (25 minutes), and Middle Beach (7 minutes)
Propane stove, full size fridge/ freezer, microwave, toaster oven, blender, pots/ pans, dishes, cutlery, propane BBQ, two level deck, two sofas in living room,
Cell service is sporadic on Hornby and in the house. We have a cell phone booster that helps. Walking up the little hill in the backyard helps too. Sorry, there is no Wifi in the house. We can tell you where on Hornby Island to connect.
Caring for our place
This is our second home. We recently did a complete renovation to make it like a new house. We are happy to share our Hornby place with you, and hope you’ll treat it gently and with care. We have lots of personal stuff there. We do put most clothes, toiletries, food, and other things in storage but we leave our art and some toys, beach chairs, and other belongings around. We will leave you with empty drawers and closet space. Feel free to borrow binoculars, books, spices, games, beach chairs, beach umbrellas, and things like that.
Please do not use the fireplace in the summer.
If you do not know Hornby Island well, we can provide you with lots more information.
You made it this far… PLEASE EMAIL FOR ANY FURTHER INFORMATION YOU NEED ABOUT THE PROPERTY